Carlos Enrique Cruz
Carlos got his degree at Universidad Nacional de La Pampa (UNLPam) in 1980 and a Master in Petroleum Exploration at the Instituto del Petróleo (IPUBA) de la Universidad de Buenos Aires in 1982. He also attended a Management Development Program at the Instituto Argentino de la Empresa of the Universidad Austral (2006).
He started working in YPF in 1983, where he headed a surface geology team named Comisión Geológica 7 (CG7), in the Neuquen Basin. In 1992 he left the national oil company and since then he worked for different operator companies like Triton, Bridas, Pan American Energy, Pluspetrol and ArPetrol Argentina, leading multidisciplinary teams in the generation of exploration and development prospects, the definition of new exploration plays and the identification of new business opportunities. His work led to the discovery of more than 1 TCFG in Argentina and Bolivia and to the Pluspetrol purchase of the Petro Andina Resources assets in the Neuquen Basin. In 2013 Carlos began to work as an independent consultant, offering his vast experience to companies and private investors.
Carlos has a strong background not only in structural geology and petroleum systems of the Argentina and Bolivia basins, but also in probabilistic reserves estimation and geologic risk analysis. This made him leader of the Pluspetrol exploration portfolio evaluation team and the G&G team that looked for new opportunities in Latin-American and Africa.
Due to his expertise in basins of Argentina, rest of Latin-America and Africa, Carlos offers the following services:
– Analysis and definition of exploration and development prospects. Exploration programs planning.
– Probabilistic reserves estimation and geologic risk evaluation of prospects. Portfolio analysis.
– Foresight and assessment of E&P new opportunities.
– Vaca Muerta and Los Molles (Neuquen Basin), Lower Inoceramus (Austral/Magallanes Basin) and Devonian (Argentina and Bolivia) unconventional plays evaluation and shale-oil and gas resources volumetric probabilistic assessment.
– Play analysis. Regional and petroleum systems studies.
– Resolution of complex structures. Correlations and sequence stratigraphy.
– Team work counseling and management.
– In-company field seminars and courses on petroleum systems, prospect and play analysis, reserves and geologic risk estimation.
He has published, as author or co-author, more than thirty-five technical papers in national and international conferences and is senior editor of the book “Sistemas Petroleros de las Cuencas Andinas” (2008), as well as of the technical books of the 9th ConExplo 2014 (Congreso Nacional de Exploración y Desarrollo de Hidrocarburos – IAPG). He has been guest lecturer in international forums and participated in several exploration round tables.
In 1996 Carlos received the Dr. A. Mingramm Award to the Best Paper of the 3rd ConExplo, for the publication of “Los sistemas petroleros del Grupo Mendoza en la Fosa de Chos Malal. Cuenca Neuquina, Argentina”.
He was President of the 6th ConExplo (2005), as well as President from 2002 to 2005 of the Exploration and Development Committee of the IAPG (Instituto Argentino del Petróleo y Gas)
Carlos speaks Spanish, English and Italian.
Companies I worked with
Carlos Enrique Cruz, Petroleum Geologist. Reach out to know more about geoscience interpretation services, reference information, professional training courses or publications debate. Please be as specific as possible on the subject of your message.
LinkedIn, Email and Whatsapp